Sacral (winter) tour

You can see The Abbey chapel, featuring the painting of the Madonna of the Golden Crown, chapel of the Guardian Angels and church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary

Kaple Andělů strážných

An "abbey" is always located outside the monastery proper. It is the residence of the chief representative of the monastery - the abbot. The core of the abbey at the Monatery of the Golden Crown (Zlatá Koruna) was built in the gothic style early in the 14th century. It was rebuilt and expanded between 1390 and 1400.

The Abbey chapel was built in the 14th century and is the only fully preserved Gothic space in the former prelature. It is decorated with remarkable frescoes, the oldest of which, a painting of St. Wnceslaus, dates to 1360. The original painting of the Zlatá Koruna Madonna, the partoness and protecotr of the Zlatá Koruna Monastery, is installed in the chapel.

The chapel of the Guardian Angels was built between 1270 to the late 1280s as a two-storey building and served as a convent church at the beginning of the monastery. The chapel has undergone many structural modifications. In the 1770s, František Prokyš decorated it with mural paintings. After the monastery was abolished, the chapel was re-built into apartments. The Chapel of the Guardian Angels was consecrated once again in 2002.

The Monastery Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary
The presbytery, crossing and part of the triple nave were built from the second half of the 13th century to the beginning of the 14th century. The façade with a remarkable Gothic window dates back to around 1360. The stone tracery as well as the rosette in the transept of the nave are attributed to Michal Parléř who worked here at that time. In 1420 the church was demolished by the Hussites, the vault partially collapsed and the church was so dilapidated that in the 16th century there was rubble and saltpetre was made here. The nave was repaired after the middle of the 17th century and repairs were completed only during the period of the last Abbot Bylanský, who carried out the Baroque interior decoration.

Basic information

  • duration 30 minutes
  • max. 50 people

Opening hours

Period Days Hours
6. 11. Wed 11.00–13.00
9. 11. Sat 13.00–13.00
13. 11. Wed 11.00–13.00
20. 11. Wed 11.00–13.00
27. 11. Wed 11.00–13.00

Admission

Guided tour in Czech with foreign language text

  • Full admission 70 Kč
  • Reduced admission* 50 Kč
  • Family admission (2 adults and max. 3 children up to 15 years) 180 Kč
  • Children under 6 years, ZTP card holders under 18 years, ZTP/P card holders and guide, complementary NPÚ ticket holders + max 3 persons; AMG, ICOM, ICOMOS, Národní muzeum, former employee NPÚ card holders, guide of group over 20 persons (only if it is paid together) and pedagogue of group of pupils (max. 2 pedagogues for 1 group), accredited journalists free
  • *children (6-18 years), students (under 26 years), seniors (over 65 years), card holders ISIC, ITIC, EYCA, EUROBEDS, ZTP over 18 years,

reservation needed for groups only